Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Nurturing Creativity

My Dog Dobby in Dreamland



When I was about 8, I thought my hands had their own brain.(In adult speak, a kinesthetic learner.)
I loved to draw but didn't know how, so I decided if I trace enough pictures of dogs in this book of dogs I had, my hand-brain would learn how to draw.

I had forgotten about this until I read this article, 'But I'm not artistic: how teachers shape kids' creative development.'  It's a good read.

A teacher did shape my development when she asked what I was doing.
"Drawing," I said.
Her face fell "That's not drawing, you traced that! You can't call that drawing."
I was so deflated I stopped teaching my hand-brain how to draw.

Of course, that's a story with a happy ending in my case.  But it's not for everyone.

In reading the article, I'm starting to realize what has really been driving me to spend all of my free time, all vacation time, all podcast and movie time (EGADS - I haven't even listened to Serial yet!!) LOL the last three years or so on a documentary on the topic of creativity. It's not just a form of filmmaking madness, it's because I really wish that children today would grow up connected to their creative pulse—cooking, mechanics, engineering, science, dancing, whatever!! And I want to send these children a love letter. It's also a love letter to adults who are open to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment