Friday, October 31, 2008

“We are the ones we’ve been waiting for.”

A friend asked me after I emailed him - so why was this trip so meaningful to you? (See below - The Women's Earth Alliance Transformative Advocacy Trip to the US Southwest) 


I wrote him some garbled email then after I sent it, the reason why clicked in my brain. Let me just say there were a lot of reasons why the trip was amazing - I got to see Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico, I spent time with some beautiful people who are all working on issues that need much attention and I got to film - which I love. There was a thundering experience for me though, that really amounts to fully understanding that we can do anything - and if there is something in the world that speaks to your heart you can do it. If you want world peace then go out there and be a leader for world peace. If you want to be a great cook, then take classes, travel and learn new ways to cook and bless the world with the best you-cook that you can possibly be. And if we all took this great reponsibility of being the best versions of ourselves that we could be - which means discipline and reaching out when we'd rather sit at home and be lazy, then this world would tip over onto a brighter pathway - hands down. What I fully understood was this Hopi Elders words, (below) that have been running around the internet, since I think they were on the film - The 11th hour - which I didn't yet see but I'm planning to. I realized fully and completely - as one friend said to me recently - you make your own magic in this world.




A Hopi Elder Speaks 


"You have been telling the people that this is the Eleventh Hour, now you must go back and tell the people that this is the Hour.  And there are things to be considered . . .


Where are you living?
What are you doing?
What are your relationships?
Are you in right relation?
Where is your water?
Know your garden.
It is time to speak your Truth.
Create your community.
Be good to each other.
And do not look outside yourself for the leader."
Then he clasped his hands together, smiled, and said, "This could be a good time!"

    "There is a river flowing now very fast.  It is so great and swift that there are those who will be afraid.  They will try to hold on to the shore.   They will feel they are torn apart and will suffer greatly. 


    "Know the river has its destination.  The elders say we must let go of the shore, push off into the middle of the river, keep our eyes open, and our heads above water.  And I say, see who is in there with you and celebrate.  At this time in history, we are to take nothing personally, Least of all ourselves.  For the moment that we do,  our spiritual growth and journey comes to a halt.      "The time for the lone wolf is over.  Gather yourselves!  Banish the word struggle from you attitude and your vocabulary.  All that we do now must be done in a sacred manner and in celebration. 

    "We are the ones we've been waiting for."


-- attributed to an unnamed Hopi elder


Hopi Nation



Oraibi, Arizona

No comments:

Post a Comment